In serving the public interest, the International Accounting Education Standards Board (IAESB) sets high-quality international education standards. The IAESB recognizes that standards need to be understandable, clear, and capable of consistent application. These aspects of clarity serve to enhance the quality and uniformity of practice worldwide.
Starting in 2009, the IAESB initiated a project to enhance the clarity of its International Education Standards (IESs). It involved the application of new drafting conventions to all IESs, either as part of a substantive revision or through a limited redrafting, to reflect the new conventions and matters of clarity generally.
The Clarity Project reached its completion in December 2014 when the Public Interest Oversight Board approved the due process for IES 8. Professional accountancy organizations, including IFAC member bodies worldwide, will now have access to eight newly updated and clarified IESs. A complete history of the Clarity Project is available online.
Basis for Conclusions for Revised IESs
The Basis for Conclusions for each IES is a staff-prepared document that provides background information, main comments received on the Exposure Drafts, and the IAESB's conclusions regarding these comments in developing the final standard.
- Basis for Conclusions: International Education Standard (IES) 1, Entry Requirements to Professional Accounting Education Programs (Revised)
- Basis for Conclusions: IES 2, Initial Professional Development-Technical Competence (Revised)
- Basis for Conclusions: IES 3, Initial Professional Development-Professional Skills (Revised)
- Basis for Conclusions: IES 4, Initial Professional Development-Professional Values, Ethics, and Attitudes (Revised)
- Basis for Conclusions: IES 5, Initial Professional Development—Practical Experience (Revised)
- Basis for Conclusions: IES 6 Initial Professional Development – Assessment of Professional Competence (Revised)
- Basis for Conclusions: IES 7 Continuing Professional Development (Redrafted)
- Basis for Conclusions: IES 8, Professional Competence for Engagement Partners Responsible for Audits of Financial Statements (Revised)
To view additional IAESB publications or to order a printed copy of the current Handbook of International Education Pronouncements, visit Publications & Resources.
Bridging Document between Extant and Revised IESs
This publication has been prepared by IAESB staff to demonstrate how the text of the extant IESs maps to the revised IESs.
To understand how the IAESB drafting conventions have impacted the presentation of the IESs, visit The Structure of Standards.
To obtain further support on how the revised IESs were developed, see Support and Staff-answered Questions.
Slide Presentations of IESs 1-8 and Notes
These support materials do not constitute authoritative pronouncements of the International Accounting Education Standards Board. These presentations and the accompanying notes provide an overview of the IESs.
The notes do not amend or override an IES, the text of which alone is authoritative. Reading these notes is not a substitute for reading the standard. The notes are not meant to be exhaustive and reference to the IES itself should always be made.
Summary of Changes Resulting from IES Revision Project
This slide presentation has been prepared by IAESB staff to identify the principles and concepts resulting from the IES revision project.
Slide Presentations for IESs with Notes
- Slide Presentation of IES 1 and Notes
- Slide Presentation of IES 2 and Notes
- Slide Presentation of IES 3 and Notes
- Slide Presentation of IES 4 and Notes
- Slide Presentation of IES 5 and Notes
- Slide Presentation of IES 6 and Notes
- Slide Presentation of IES 7 and Notes
- Slide Presentation of IES 8 and Notes