IAI-AFA-IAESB International Conference 2019: Competencies for the Future
May 15, 2019 | English
The accountancy profession is undergoing a significant change as it evolves for the digital age and resulting shift in education and competency needs. The recent international conference, Competencies for the Future: Professionalism of Accountants in the Disruption Era, held in April by Ikatan Akuntan Indonesia, the ASEAN Federation of Accountants, and the IAESB drove collaboration and engagement on the issue and how the profession and accountants can adapt and embrace change.
The event featured global, regional, and national accountancy education experts who shared their experiences and insights on issues affecting Southeast Asia and beyond. Speakers included:
- International Federation of Accountants President In-Ki Joo;
- Institute of Singapore Chartered Accountants President Kon Yin Tong;
- Malaysian Institute of Accountants CEO Nurmazilah Dato’ Mahzan;
- International Auditing and Assurance Standards Board Member Chun Wee Chiew;
- IAI Council members; and
- IAESB members and technical advisors.
Presentations and panel discussions focused on the perspectives of regional accountancy organizations and global experts. Sessions included:
- The digital age, including opportunities and challenges for professional accountants;
- The need for better professional skepticism, including a look at recent accounting misbehavior;
- An overview of current continuing professional development (CPD) practices and CPD’s importance;
- Information and communications technologies, including the requirements, necessary skills, and growing importance of behavioral skills for accountants; and
- Professional skepticism and becoming a better skeptic.
The event drew more than 250 participants from more than 20 countries, including accountancy professionals and academics from across the Southeast Asia region.
The IAESB thanks conference participants, especially those who shared their experiences.